Time is running out for people in the Byron Shire affected by Tropical Cyclone Debbie in 2017 to lodge a claim for emergency assistance payments from the Australian Government.
Department of Human Services General Manager Hank Jongen is reminding all eligible residents to submit a claim this week if they have yet to do so.
“The deadline for claims for both the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment and Disaster Recovery Allowance is Friday 19 January 2018,” Mr Jongen said.
“Anyone who believes they may qualify for a payment needs to lodge their claim by the cut-off date to avoid missing out.
“The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child aged under 16.
“The Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short term payment, equivalent to the rate of Newstart or Youth Allowance, for a maximum of 13 weeks for eligible individuals – including employees, primary producers and sole traders – who experienced a loss of income as a direct result of the cyclone.
“Claimants must meet a range of additional criteria to be eligible for each payment and should check the full details on the Human Services website before applying.”
Mr Jongen said the period for claiming in other Local Government Areas affected by Tropical Cyclone Debbie closed late last year.
Claims can be submitted by calling the Australian Government Emergency Information line on 180 22 66, by post or in person at a Department of Human Services Service Centre.