The Department of Human Services shares these top tips for keeping your Centrelink and Medicare information private:
- Don’t share your Centrelink Customer Reference Number and Medicare number with people who don’t need it. Don’t be afraid to ask why if someone requests it.
- Remember to sign out of your myGov online account when using shared computers, and keep your username and password private.
- Increase the security of your myGov account by signing in with SMS or myGov Access codes – see my.gov.au for more.
- Our social media accounts are great platforms for general questions and information, but please don’t share any personal details with us online.
- If you have concerns about the use of your information, you can report it here oaic.gov.au/individuals